To Fly Or Not To Fly?
Smokey season is creeping in and it’s almost time to make a move! Jamie feels we’ve been procrastinating on booking our flights out of Chiang Mai. I agree, although there’s been so many more things to think about since becoming mom and dad. Some may think we’re being paranoid parents and that’s fine, I think they may be right! Kai is our number one and we want to be mindful of any of our choices that may cause him any unnecessary stress. Anyway we’re excited to be getting back on the road, we haven’t had any travel adventures since last year’s rickshaw roadtrip.
We’ve promised friends and family a trip to the states though, as well as UK and Europe soon too. So we get it, everyone’s eager to meet the little man and admittedly he is growing up super fast. During Jamie’s pregnancy we had this idea that oh yeah once she pops him out we’ll be right back to backpacking and nomad life. How wrong we were, we had no idea how important having stable surroundings and a routine would be. Especially during these early months.. and sleep lol.
Thankfully Kai’s been guiding us every step of the way and when he is happy we’re happy. He’s already great at cluing us in to what he likes and dislikes. Mostly as long as he’s got boob on tap, lots of cuddles and gets to meet new faces and see new places he’s golden. So traveling seems to suit him already right? Well he’s picked crawling fast and of course he loves riding his rickshaw. The only issue comes when he has to sit still or wait.. for anything. He’s not the most patient boy and who knows where he got that from? Also he’s started putting some real volume to his funny baby language “baaaaah”. We love it and sing along, though not sure his babbling’s for everyone.
Anyway a 13hr flight sounds very daunting right now, I mean props to any parents who do or “have to” travel with young infants. I just don’t know how if that’s for us? This little bundle of energy literally bounces on my head from sun up til sun down, then he has milk party with mom all night long. So I’m not sure if long haul is his kinda thing, right now. I’m not even sure if we’ll fly down to the islands? We’ll have to see and for sure there’s only one way to find out. It might just pay off to wait a bit longer? Then again he might be absolutely fine? Hahaha I’m open to that possibility.
Anyway the smoke’s not here yet, we have probably until the end of this month. Do any of you have any amazing tips for traveling with a little one? If we go ahead and fly, we’ll just have to rally up and hope for the best. So any advice from you guys would be great.. To fly or not to fly, that is the question! 🙂